“The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.”
– Marcus Aurelius
There are very few times in history where society has faced a critical test that forced us to align around a common objective. We are confronting such a moment today: the fight against climate change. Reducing CO2 emissions is the primary (and perhaps sole) solution. A transition to renewable electricity as our primary power source is what stands in the way in reducing CO2 emissions. At Orennia, we believe what stands in the way becomes the way.
2020 saw the most investments ever in new wind and solar projects. As America de-carbonizes its energy stack, the annual investment in new power generation is expected to double by 2030.
With trillions in capital needing to be deployed, Orennia helps investors make more informed decisions using data, analytics, and machine learning/artificial intelligence.
Why Join Orennia?
At Orennia, you will become part of a collaborative culture and do work that matters. As a company in the renewable energy industry, we believe that a diversity of perspectives generates better solutions. We trust and support each other, ask hard questions and solve complex problems. Guided by a spirit of inquiry, we design for people at every scale, creating spaces that elevate individuals, their communities, and the institutions that serve them.
We are looking for a Controller to join our rapidly growing company in the renewable energy sector. Reporting to the CFO, this position is responsible for all the financial accounting and reporting for the business, including managing external audit and tax preparation. This is an exciting opportunity and suited to an individual who will be self-motivated, independent team player who displays a strong work ethic. Our work environment is professional, challenging, energetic and exciting.
- Oversee month-end accounting entries, accruals, balance sheet reconciliations, income statement analysis, and interdepartmental and elimination entries for various intercompany transactions.
- Coordinate monthly close process and consolidation, ensuring accuracy and completeness of monthly financial reporting packages.
- Responsible for operational reporting and analysis of variances to targets and historic information.
- Proactively identify and implement preventative and detective controls to aid in the accuracy and timeliness of financial and KPI reporting.
- Automating and/or building complex financial models and analytical tools to measure the overall financial performance and deliver financial reporting to management.
- Participates in the annual budget process and ensures overall integrity of the budget.
- Support strategic decisions by means of sound business analysis.
- Work closely with external auditors and be the point person in charge of communication with the auditors.
- Preparation of standalone financial statements and full note disclosure.
- Provide support on researching complex accounting issues.
- Assist external accountants with Canadian and US tax preparation.
- Participate in special projects/ad-hoc analysis as required.
- Experience working in a high-growth, multi-disciplinary team.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, business, or related field.
- CPA or equivalent.
- Strong knowledge of IFRS and familiar with audit practices and principles.
- Proven analytical skills and demonstrated initiative to problem solve.
- General knowledge of Canadian and US indirect and corporate tax.
- Demonstrated advanced skills in Microsoft Excel.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, capable of professional interaction with various levels of operations and other departments.
- Working experience with Business Central ERP is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of SR&ED filing is considered an asset.
- Passion and enthusiasm about accelerating the energy transition.
Press Apply to Job below and send your resume along with your cover letter including why you want to be a part of the Orennia Team. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in our organization and for taking the time to apply; however, only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.
Our Pledge to Fostering an Inclusive and Safe Workplace:
Orennia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, age or disability.